Rhino Conservation Experience
Rhino poaching has reached a crisis point. At present, three of the five species of rhino are critically endangered, with two having fewer than 80 animals left in the wild. The good news is that, together, we can contribute to the survival of the species in the wild.
Ranger Buck Safaris arranges exclusive access to rhinos during the darting process and subsequent research work undertaken by the authorities.
Guests will be transported to the scene either by overland game viewer vehicle or by helicopter depending on where the rhino has been located in the wild.
On arrival at the scene you will witness the darting of the rhino from a helicopter and the subsequent efforts to immobilize the animal.
Once it is safe you will be guided by our professional crew and wildlife vet to assist “hands-on” with the vital tasks that are crucial to the success of the conservation experience.
WATCH THIS VIDEO AND see hoW YOU CAN GET involved!
- assisting to manoeuvre the animal into a safe position to work on
- monitoring vital signs of the animal
- drilling and inserting horn microchips or total de-horning, if required
- applying medication and ointments
- cutting of ear notches for identification purposes
- recording important measurements including horn length, shoulder height and body length.
Once the rhino has been mobilized all crew and guests will enjoy a full bush breakfast. During the breakfast there will be a full de-brief of the operation and reflection of the encounter. Your efforts would have made a meaningful contribution to the survival of the species.
This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity to contribute significantly to the conservation of the rhino species for future generations to enjoy.
- transport to and from your accommodation to the scene of the rhino darting
- all professional wildlife veterinarian fees, including helicopter capture flying time, travel costs and all anesthetics and drugs used
- detailed safety presentation prior to the rhino operation
- facilitating exclusive safely guided “hands-on” participation by the guests
- all drinks, non-alcoholic, during the activity
- exclusive full bush breakfast with detailed de-brief of the experience.