Check-in time: 13h00 | Check-out time: 11h00
As the original Singita lodge, Ebony stands steadfast amongst enormous trees on the banks of the Sand River in the heart of South Africa’s big cat country. The lodge comprises 12 suites, each with its own private plunge pool. External walls have been almost completely removed and replaced by canvas and glass to create new safari tent-style suites to maximize views and space, and allow guests to be immersed in nature. Outdoor pavilion decks – ideal for dining and relaxing – are suspended off the river banks as if hanging in the trees.
Singita Ebony Lodge, located on the Sand River, is a fresh and contemporary interpretation of the classic safari lodge, combining tented camp and bush lodge style. Inspired by the romance and adventure of tented camps, explorers’ abodes and campaign furniture, Ebony’s interiors are enhanced by the luster of well-polished ebony and mahogany woods and natural fibers in cool tones. All this is brought to life by the rich, golden glow of old brass, hand-woven baskets, traditional khaki and beige tent canvas and exposed thatch.
Singita Ebony Lodge comprises 12 suites, each with its own private plunge pool. Interiors feature curated still-life collections of antiques and artifacts, as well as vintage campaign furniture from the Bailes’ family collection.
Materials like wood, iron, steel and aged bronze hark back to the 19th century, along with over sized sepia photography, glamorous leopard and zebra print upholstery that complements bold graphic tribal patterned murals. Internal and external walls have been replaced by canvas and glass to create safari tent-style suites to maximise views and space.
The entire front wall of each suite between the bedroom and the veranda is made of glass allowing light to flood in. Outdoor pavilion decks – ideal for dining and relaxing – are suspended above the river banks as if hanging from the trees. A beautiful marble and cast iron table is the furniture centerpiece for this concept – it is a traveler’s desk with smart tools, a private dining room table for entertaining or a bar to enjoy an evening gin & tonic in one.
- 2 x Lewis suites ideal for families with teenage children. The suites are right next to each other and within close proximity to the main lodge area.
- 8 x suites ideal for singles and couples traveling together. One inter-leading unit is available for groups traveling together.
- 2 x family suites ideal for families with small children. The family suites include an en-suite master bedroom and an en-suite twin bedroom as well as a dining and lounge veranda area with a stone fireplace, and a private viewing deck with heated plunge pool.
- 1 x villa comprises the two family suites with access to an additional private lounge, swimming pool and deck area, which connects these two individual suites. Ebony Villa will includes a private guide and vehicle, chef, host and banakeli (personal waiter). There is a private entrance and boma, so small groups searching for complete seclusion will be at ease. The Ebony Villa is suited to up to four adults and four children under 12 years, or up to six adults and teenagers.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- There is a swimming pool in the main lodge area.
- Spa and fitness centre facilities are available.
- Our Singita Boutique & Gallery and Premier Wine Boutique.
- There is a television available in the library at the main lodge.
- Dependent upon area coverage, there is mobile phone signal.
- There is complimentary internet (WiFi) access, however due to the remote location of the lodge, the wireless connection can be slow and intermittent.
- Electricity/power available: 220V. Converters are also available and hair dryers are supplied in each suite
- Children of all ages are welcome. There are babysitting services available and tailor-made activities to suit each family.
|8||R 30 250 per adult per night
R 15 125 per child per night
|2||R 28 840 per adult per night
R 14 420 per child per night
|2||R 75 625 per suite per night (1-3 guests)
R 15 125 per additional guest per night
Private use of the 2 Family Suites
|1||R 216 730 per villa per night|
- Quoted in South African Rand (ZAR / R),
- Inclusive of Value Added Tax (VAT) at 15%, and subject to change.
- All meals and beverages (including premium wines, spirits and liqueurs, but excluding French Champagne)
- Twice daily open Land Rover safaris
- Walking safaris
- Return road transfers between the Singita airstrip and the lodges
- Laundry service.
- Tourism levy
- Telephone calls
- Purchases from the Singita Boutique & Gallery
- French Champagne
- Spa treatments
- Transport to and from the reserve.
- Children of all ages are welcome at Singita Sweni Lodge.
- Infants under the age of 2 years will be accommodated free of charge.
- Children aged 2-16 years will be accommodated at 50% of the adult rate when sharing a standard Suite with 1 adult or another child.
- A single child accommodated in their own suite will attract the full adult rate.
- Families of four or more members, including at least one child under 10 years are guaranteed the complimentary use of a private vehicle.
- Families of up to three members, including at least one child under 10 years, are required to pay for the use of a private vehicle.
- Triples are available on request. An additional room needs to be booked and a minimum charge of 3 adults will apply.
- In the interest of safety, participation of children in game activities is at the discretion of the guide.
A single supplement will apply if three or more single rooms are booked in a reservation. A supplement of 25% of the adult rate will be added from the third single room onwards.
- Singita Sweni Lodge may be accessed by private air charter directly to the lodge or on the scheduled air services on Federal Air. Flights to the lodge can only be operated during daylight hours. Restrictions apply.
- Federal Air transfer tariffs are valid 01 January – 31 December and are subject to change. All flight tariffs are nett and non-commissionable
- PLEASE NOTE: Due to the increasing fuel cost, Federal Air may increase their fuel surcharge during the year, in which case the incremental cost must be borne by the client. Singita will not be accountable for any such fluctuations beyond its control.
- We can arrange scheduled flights or private charters for your trip.
- All flights land at Singita’s airstrip located 10 minutes from the lodge.
- On scheduled flights, the weight of luggage is restricted to 20kg (44lb) for checked baggage and 5kg (11lb) for hand luggage. Only soft-sided luggage is permitted.
- Johannesburg to Singita Sabi Sand: approximately 1 hour.
- Nelspruit to Singita Sabi Sand: approximately 30 minutes.
- Private aircraft pilots land at their own risk and are advised to broadcast their intentions on frequency 124,8 MHz.
- Runway: 01/19
- Latitude: 24° 48” 18’ S
- Longitude: 31° 25” 34’ E
- Elevation: 1250ft
- Width: 20m
- Length: 1 400m
- Surface: Soft tar
- From Johannesburg: approximately 6.5 hours’ drive (+/- 500km).
- From Hazyview: approximately 1 hours’ drive (+/- 50km).
Seasons and weather vary in the reserve
To ensure your comfort you may want to tailor your clothing choices to the time of year:
October – April
The weather is warm during the day and cooler in the morning and evenings. We recommend casual summer clothes (shorts and cool shirts) and a warm jersey/sweater for the cooler times of day.
May – September
This is fall and winter and the temperature will be mild during the day, but colder in the mornings and evenings. We recommend casual light clothing and a very warm parka/jacket for the extremely cold mornings and nights.
Best Time to Go on Safari
Southern Africa is a year-round destination. Traditionally the dry winter months (April to October) are best for game viewing, due to the shorter grass, lack of foliage and the absence of water which forces the game to concentrate around the remaining sources of drinking water.
Annual rainfall, usually in the form of short afternoon thunder showers that clear up within an hour, occur from December to March. Many species give birth to their young around the start of the rains, so the bush is alive with newborn animals.
What to Bring
Your safari suitcase, packed properly, will ensure that you have everything you need for the ultimate African bush experience. Cotton clothing in neutral colors is recommended for all game drives and bush walks. It is best to avoid white clothing and dark colors for bush activities, as they tend to attract certain bugs. Formal wear is not required at any of our lodges.
We recommend packing the following
- Comfortable walking shoes/track shoes/hiking boots for walks; and sandals to wear around the lodge.
- Swimming costume/bathing suits, sun block, sun hat, sunglasses, lip balm, mosquito repellent (lip balm and mosquito repellent is provided for all our guests, but you are welcome to bring along your favourite brand).
- Camera and video camera, binoculars, spare memory cards and charging equipment. The use of unmanned aerial vehicles (also known as drones) is strictly prohibited at Singita.
- Please note that in the event of rain during a game drive, waterproof ponchos will be provided for guests’ comfort.
- All of our lodges are located in remote areas and therefore guests should remember to bring an extra pair of correction glasses, contact lens solution and an extra set of contact lenses (if required) as well as a sufficient supply of any prescription medication.
Time of Year
|Spring: Sept – Nov||18°C / 64°F||30°C / 86°F|
|Summer: Dec – Feb||23°C / 73°F||35°C / 95°F|
|Autumn: Mar – May||12°C / 54°F||26°C / 79°F|
|Winter: Jun – Aug||9°C / 48°F||22°C / 72°F|
Fly direct to Singita Sabi Sand in half the time with a daily jet service operated by Federal Airlines. Enjoy a seamless travel experience from the moment you step off your commercial flight at OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, with fast-tracked passport processing and private transfers to the Federal Airlines private departure lounge.
- A 4-seater Cessna Citation Mustang
- The jet service decreases the flying time from OR Tambo International Airport to Singita Sabi Sand from an hour to just over half an hour with no stops en route.
- Singita guests are met airside after disembarking their commercial flight in Johannesburg OR Tambo International Airport.
- If arriving on an international flight, guests will be fast-tracked through passport control using the crew / diplomat avenues.
- Transfers are in a luxury vehicle to the Federal Airlines lounge.
- Daily departures:
- Johannesburg to Singita Sabi Sand: 11:30
- Singita Sabi Sand to Johannesburg: 14:30
- A team of highly qualified captains and co-pilots will ensure that every aspect of the journey is safe and the perfect start to a Singita safari.
- If visiting Singita Lebombo or Sweni Lodge, a 20min hop in a Cessna Caravan to Singita Kruger National Park is available at an additional charge.
Our lodges are located in malaria risk areas and we recommend that you adhere to the advice of your doctor regarding prophylactics. Insect repellent (spray or wipes), is provided in your suite and on game drive vehicles.
Please remember that you need at least 2 blank visa pages in your passport for travel.