Check-in time: 13h00 | Check-out time: 11h00
Formerly the family home of Singita founder Luke Bailes’ grandfather, Singita Castleton is an exclusive use lodge set within Singita Sabi Sand. With the added benefit of extensive high-end facilities, including a vast garden, swimming pool, wine cellar, gym, tennis court and spa treatment room. Guests can relax together in the courtyard, gather around the traditional ‘boma’ or meet in the country-style kitchen, yet the individual cottages allow guests to retreat to the privacy of their own space as and when it’s needed. All of this is overlooking a waterhole where animals regularly gather to drink.
Singita Castleton consists of a main house with communal living spaces, and accommodation located in six individual cottages within the grounds, catering for up to 12 people. It is steeped in history, capturing the spirit of the original Castleton house, giving the lodge a historical and comforting nature. Singita Castleton has been designed to combine the best elements of a private safari lodge with the rustic charms of a country farmhouse.
Set within 45,000 acres of private reserve, Singita Castleton consists of a main house, with communal living spaces, and accommodation located in six individual cottages within the grounds, catering for up to 12 people.
- There is a swimming pool on the front lawn overlooking the Castleton dam and the open grassland.
- There is a private fitness centre available.
- Private tennis court with tennis pavilion.
- Trampoline for children (and adults) to have fun.
- A spa treatment room and in room treatments are available for guests.
- Television with full satellite/cable with DVD player in the main house.
- Private boma with uninterrupted view of the watering hole.
- Private Land Rover with experienced field guide and tracker.
- Private staff of house manager, chef, housekeeper, guide and tracker.
- Our Singita Boutique & Gallery and Premier Wine Boutique is nearby.
- Dependent upon area coverage, there is mobile phone signal.
- There is complimentary internet (WiFi) access, however due to the remote location of the lodge, the wireless connection can be slow and intermittent.
- Electricity/power available: 220V. Converters are also available and hair dryers are supplied in each suite.
- Children of all ages are welcome. There are babysitting services available (to be booked in advance) and tailor-made activities to suit each family.
- For the interest of safety, childrens’ participation in game activities is at the discretion of your guide.
- Kosher and Halaal is available at Singita Castleton at an additional charge – please book in advance.
|1||R 251 140 per lodge per night (1-8 guests)
R 279 695 per lodge per night (9-12 guests)
|Day Use Rate
Applicable for early check-in & late check-out
|1||R 125 570 per lodge per day|
- Quoted in South African Rand (ZAR / R),
- Inclusive of Value Added Tax (VAT) at 15%, and subject to change.
- All meals and beverages (including premium wines, spirits and liqueurs, but excluding French Champagne)
- Private guide, house host, chef and house staff
- Private open Land Rover Safaris (1 vehicle for up to 8 guests, 2 vehicles for 9-12 guests)
- Walking safaris
- Return road transfers between the Singita airstrip and the lodges
- Laundry service.
- Tourism Levy
- Telephone calls
- Purchases from the Singita Boutique & Gallery
- French Champagne
- Certain special meal requests
- Spa treatments
- Exclusive access to a Singita spa therapist (to be pre-booked and pre-paid)
- Additional vehicle (available on request at an additional charge)
- Transport to and from the reserve.
- Children of all ages are welcome at Singita Castleton.
- In the interest of safety, the participation of children in game activities is at the discretion of the guide.
- Singita Sabi Sand may be accessed by private air charter directly to the lodge or on the scheduled air services on Federal Air. Flights to the lodge can only be operated during daylight hours. Restrictions apply.
- Federal Air transfer tariffs are valid 01 January – 31 December and are subject to change. All flight tariffs are nett and non-commissionable.
- We can arrange scheduled flights or private charters for your trip. All flights land at Singita’s airstrip located 10 minutes from the lodge.
- On scheduled flights, the weight of luggage is restricted to 20kg (44lb) for checked baggage and 5kg (11lb) for hand luggage. Only soft-sided luggage is permitted.
- Johannesburg – Singita Sabi Sand: approximately 1 hour
- Nelspruit – Singita Sabi Sand: approximately 30 minutes
- Private aircraft pilots land at their own risk and are advised to broadcast their intentions on frequency 124,8 MHz.
- Runway: 01/19
- Latitude: 24° 48” 18’ S
- Longitude: 31° 25” 34’ E
- Elevation: 1250ft
- Width: 20m
- Length: 1 400m
- Surface: Soft tar
- From Johannesburg: approximately 6.5 hours’ drive (+/- 500km).
- From Hazyview: approximately 1 hours’ drive (+/- 50km).
Seasons and weather vary in the reserve
To ensure your comfort you may want to tailor your clothing choices to the time of year:
October – April
The weather is warm during the day and cooler in the morning and evenings. We recommend casual summer clothes (shorts and cool shirts) and a warm jersey/sweater for the cooler times of day.
May – September
This is fall and winter and the temperature will be mild during the day, but colder in the mornings and evenings. We recommend casual light clothing and a very warm parka/jacket for the extremely cold mornings and nights.
Best Time to Go on Safari
Southern Africa is a year-round destination. Traditionally the dry winter months (April to October) are best for game viewing, due to the shorter grass, lack of foliage and the absence of water which forces the game to concentrate around the remaining sources of drinking water.
Annual rainfall, usually in the form of short afternoon thunder showers that clear up within an hour, occur from December to March. Many species give birth to their young around the start of the rains, so the bush is alive with newborn animals.
What to Bring
Your safari suitcase, packed properly, will ensure that you have everything you need for the ultimate African bush experience. Cotton clothing in neutral colours is recommended for all game drives and bush walks. It is best to avoid white clothing and dark colours for bush activities, as they tend to attract certain bugs. Formal wear is not required at any of our lodges.
We recommend packing the following
- Comfortable walking shoes/track shoes/hiking boots for walks; and sandals to wear around the lodge.
- Swimming costume/bathing suits, sun block, sun hat, sunglasses, lip balm, mosquito repellent (lip balm and mosquito repellent is provided for all our guests, but you are welcome to bring along your favourite brand).
- Camera and video camera, binoculars, spare memory cards and charging equipment. The use of unmanned aerial vehicles (also known as drones) is strictly prohibited at Singita.
- Please note that in the event of rain during a game drive, waterproof ponchos will be provided for guests’ comfort.
- All of our lodges are located in remote areas and therefore guests should remember to bring an extra pair of correction glasses, contact lens solution and an extra set of contact lenses (if required) as well as a sufficient supply of any prescription medication.
Time of Year
|Spring: Sept – Nov||18°C / 64°F||30°C / 86°F|
|Summer: Dec – Feb||23°C / 73°F||35°C / 95°F|
|Autumn: Mar – May||12°C / 54°F||26°C / 79°F|
|Winter: Jun – Aug||9°C / 48°F||22°C / 72°F|
Fly direct to Singita Sabi Sand in half the time with a daily jet service operated by Federal Airlines. Enjoy a seamless travel experience from the moment you step off your commercial flight at OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, with fast-tracked passport processing and private transfers to the Federal Airlines private departure lounge.
- A 4-seater Cessna Citation Mustang
- The jet service decreases the flying time from OR Tambo International Airport to Singita Sabi Sand from an hour to just over half an hour with no stops en route.
- Singita guests are met airside after disembarking their commercial flight in Johannesburg OR Tambo International Airport.
- If arriving on an international flight, guests will be fast-tracked through passport control using the crew/diplomat avenues.
- Transfers are in a luxury vehicle to the Federal Airlines lounge.
- Daily departures:
- Johannesburg to Singita Sabi Sand: 11:30
- Singita Sabi Sand to Johannesburg: 14:30
- A team of highly qualified captains and co-pilots will ensure that every aspect of the journey is safe and the perfect start to a Singita safari.
- If visiting Singita Lebombo or Sweni Lodge, a 20min hop in a Cessna Caravan to Singita Kruger National Park is available at an additional charge.
Our lodges are located in malaria risk areas and we recommend that you adhere to the advice of your doctor regarding prophylactics. Insect repellent (spray or wipes), is provided in your suite and on game drive vehicles.
Please remember that you need at least 2 blank visa pages in your passport for travel.